PCO is Seeking 2014 Board Members
Pennsylvania Certified Organic (PCO) is a USDA-accredited organic certifying agency that educates and certifies growers, processors and handlers of organic crops, wild crops, livestock and livestock products in Pennsylvania and surrounding region.
PCO values a diverse board that supports the mission of PCO and represents the membership by having a balance of interests. For the non-certified-member seats, we can invite organic producers who are certified by another agency.
Areas of particular need identified by the board are:
Nominations will be submitted to the nominating committee for review.
● Generally, members should live in PCO’s certification region: Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Ohio, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, District of Columbia.
● Board members should be good communicators and be willing to contribute to the organization, chair committees, help at events, etc.
Areas of Responsibility
● Lead the organization in strategic planning
● Ensure adequate financial resources and provide financial oversight.
● Build a diverse and competent board.
● Select, support, and evaluate the executive director.
● Enhance PCO’s public standing
Meetings and Events
● The 2014 board term begins on the first board meeting following the election.
● The board meets quarterly. Typically, 3 meetings take place at the PCO office in Spring Mills, PA and one is held in the Lancaster County, PA area. Members may attend by phone or web connection. (Travel expenses are reimbursed upon request.)
● When possible, the PCO board is also asked to participate in strategic planning, training events, field days, trade shows, and other events.